Thursday, June 28, 2018

Microwave Sponge Candy

So, I had seen assorted posts in my net surfing and scrolling on pinterest regarding sponge candy for quite a long time. I even found several hailing the greatness of the Boston area candy company who apparently started the whole idea many decades ago. And too, also, came across many who posted different names it went by: sponge, hokey-pokey, angelfood, honeycomb, cinder toffee, etc.  Honestly, never heard of any of them before I stumbled across the posts as I mentioned.  I like candy and have been in my share of candy shops over my lifetime yet don't recall ever seeing this stuff. Hm.

Anyway, the photos looked enticing. It seemed similar to the peanut brittle I make except most all recipes were on the stovetop and I do not make my brittle that way. I did once. It didn't turn out so well and then I found a microwave version. After I made the peanut brittle that way (perfect every time!) I never would consider trying to cook it on a stovetop again. The microwave version is also faster. So, that said, with the sponge I started trying to look for a microwave version. The only one that kept appearing had 4 ingredients (included in that vinegar) and I did try it twice. First try got me something sticky that was not the right consistency. I chucked it. Second go at it, correct consistency but it was burnt. The issue was it had a time range on how long to cook and was not exact. I figured 3rd time would be the charm and then ended up not using that recipe again. Instead, I came across another stove top version that sounded appealing and tweaked it for microwave cooking. Success first time I made it. Woot! 

Consequently, I most likely won't make that other recipe I referenced a third time since there is no need to do so. 😎 I am one who likes making candy at Christmas to add to goodie box gifts. So, another that is a winner that is easy to make is fabulous. I have seen many that enrobe their sponge candy in chocolate. I haven't tried that yet because I didn't have any paraffin (food grade) to use with my chocolate chips to make dipping chocolate (that sets up and stays like on a store/candy shop candy would).  That is certainly an option if you want to add it to yours. Or leave it plain! It has gone over very well with the dozen or so people who have tried what I have made (couple batches now).  I should add that this sponge candy is a lot like a lighter more airy butter toffee. Here is the recipe if you would like to try it. 


                   Butter Toffee Sponge Candy - Microwave 




1/2 cup (1 cube) of real butter (no margarine) plus about 1 tablespoon of additional to grease the pan
1 cup of granulated sugar 
1/2 cup of corn syrup (I use Karo)
1 tablespoon of baking soda 
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract

Either an 8 or 9 inch square pan. If you go with 8 inch your toffee will be thicker.  I have been using the 9 inch non-stick no-seam metal pan.  You will need to grease it on bottom and all sides to the rim on inside of pan. 

A microwave safe GLASS BOWL (sorry, needed to emphasize you cannot use plastic/metal etc) that is at least 1.5 quarts in size.  Mine in photos below is a Pyrex 1.5 qt.

You need to prep everything before you start cooking because once it's ready to start adding things it goes really quick and the candy will start setting/hardening before you can get it out of the bowl. 

The sugar is measured out and the baking soda has been measured out and put in the green 1/4 cup. Push it around a bit to squish any lumps you might see.

So, butter up the pan.....


 In the glass bowl, put the butter, sugar, and karo. You can try to mix it a little, but really it won't much until the butter is melted. So, place the bowl in the microwave at 1 minute on full power. Take it out and stir as best you can then put it back in the microwave for another minute. Mix well at that point.  



Put back in the microwave and set it for 4 minutes on high/full power. Remove and stir it up.


Put it back in the microwave for 1 more minute at full/high power.

Now you stir in the vanilla.
Then, one more minute in the microwave on high.

Now, stir it up. Now is the really act fast part. Add the baking soda and stir quickly about 4-5 times. Then, pour into the buttered pan scraping the bowl some. Don't touch the pan, don't jostle it, shake it or anything thinking you need to 'settle' the candy. It will spread on it's own and will change appearance some as it cools.
Some air bubbles might surface or pop as it is sitting left alone. Totally normal. Awhile later it is looking like below.




Now, it usually takes about an hour to be totally cool. Touch the bottom of the pan at that point to check. I then smack my palm upward on the underside of the pan while I am holding it with the other hand to put a crack in the candy. It helps to get it out.
Then, you can either exploit the crack with a butter knife or use a hard plastic (or something similar yet safe for non-stick pan surfaces) on one of the sides to pry up a piece. Once you get part of it out the rest lifts up no problem. Snap it into pieces and enjoy!  I store mine while it lasts in a gallon zip lock. Even the little crumbles can be used in cookies, ice cream, just to eat....









Now, you can chose to enrobe it in chocolate before storing. If you opt for that, you need about 1 12oz bag of chocolate chips or equivalent in bar form and about 1/4 of a paraffin bar (a couple tablespoons worth if you shredded it). Melt those together in the microwave heating 1 min at a time and stirring well after each minute til it is smooth. Then, dip each piece of sponge in the chocolate and lay out to set on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Once fully set, you can store in a zip lock.

*Enjoy!

oh, a helpful hint for cleaning your bowl you cooked the candy in. Once the candy has been poured into your pan, run the glass bowl under straight hot water at the sink. It will melt the candy off the bowl. After it has melted away, adjust your water temp and wash as you normally would.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment